Friday, January 8, 2010

Six degrees of Kevin Bacon

I truly believe that I am six degrees from Kevin Bacon. One summer during college, I worked on a movie set with Joe Mantegna. He was in Queen's Logic with Kevin Bacon. OK, now all I need is for Joe Mantegna to introduce me to Kevin Bacon. Yeah, right. Enter . . . networking. If I wanted to pursue a career in the movie industry, I never would let that connection go. I would network until I got a meeting with someone who could help me start out in the movie world.

I have had many people ask me how to network (believe me I am no guru), and I find it is hard for me to "teach" good networking. The best I can do is offer some tips. Networking is like a job interview, only the relationship will last MUCH longer then the one you will have with a hiring manager. So . . . here goes:

Follow Up:
When you are reaching out to someone (because you want to meet them, learn from them, meet someone with whom they work) don't reach out just once. It is not someone else's responsibility to make sure you get connected.

Quid Pro Quo:
I would love to believe that there are people out there who are genuinely big hearted and want to help just out of the kindness of their heart (aside from my husband, I really don't know many people like this) so, when you are networking, remember - KARMA! Help someone now, you may need them in 1 month, 6 months, 5 years, and vice-a-versa; someone helping you now may reach out to you at some point for assistance. Don't mess with your network, reputation is powerful!

Be Prepared:
Don't reach out to someone for an introduction; for information about a company; help of any kind; without being prepared. Enter the conversation with a list of questions. Pet peeve of mine: someone calls me, says "Kevin Bacon suggested I get in touch with you" and then S I L E N C E.

Talk:
Social networking IS NOT the last step in networking - it is the first! Email, tweeting, facebook status DOES NOT replace human interaction. Yes, start with following someone on twitter; friend them on facebook; connect on linkedin - but then talk. This is the only way that people can get to know you. To understand your personality. Pick up the phone, go out for coffee, remember the afore mentioned tip and do a little research on the person you are meeting. Don't leave your chat without at least 2 other contacts.

Say Thank You:
Remember Quid Pro Quo? Thank the person for taking the time to meet with you, you never know when they will remember you and recommend you for something.

Everyone has a network, you need to know how to use it. Interested in politics? Don't you have a friend who has a friend that works on the hill? Ask for an intro! Want to be a journalist? Doesn't your sister's boyfriend's roommate work for the Arlington Gazette? Take him out for coffee!

See, it's not that hard to network, you just have to sit down and think about who you know . . . and who they know. Hey, you may be six degrees from Kevin Bacon!


No comments:

Post a Comment