Tuesday, January 19, 2010

High School Principal or HR Professional?

As an HR professional, I am finding it to be challenging that some professionals are forgetting that we are a resource for HUMANS.

I am a member of a few HR networking and educational groups and I recently attended a meeting and discovered that I was disappointed in my colleagues - a majority of the meeting was spent talking about how important saving money and following the rules is. Everyone was talking about money and focussing on the bottom line; making sure the employees were signing forms and not asking too many "silly" questions. I was silent - and quite honestly shocked.

Ummm . . .what about the people?

Don't get me wrong, I fully believe rules are important (and keep companies legal), and saving money is great too, as a matter of fact, when we HR professionals do it, we feel like we are finally being heard by the rest of the staff . . . but companies can't exist without people!

Yes, the bottom line is important. Yes, rules are in place for a reason, but as HR professionals, we aren't the high school principal. I find the most important aspect of my profession is to retain staff and to make sure they enjoy their job. I am well aware that people don't stay in one job forever, and I want everyone who leaves a company where I was the HR professional to refer others to work there, and tell people "this was an amazing company that really cared about it's people!"

As HR professionals, it is a challenge to do it all: keep companies compliant, help manage poor performers, train staff, interview, make sure payroll is error free - every time, manage benefits, retain staff, save the company money, have a seat at the table, I can go on for pages . . .but let's not forget the best and most important resource we have is the humans!





No comments:

Post a Comment