Thursday, February 25, 2010

It's just a J O B


When I was a senior in college, I COULD NOT WAIT to get a job and walk to work in my suit and sneakers a la Melanie Griffith. Yeah - I soon got over that.

Fast forward 16 years.

This morning I took the metro to downtown DC during rush hour, I haven't done that in a long time, but I was overcome by how miserable everyone is on their way to work. This made me wonder why? Why does everyone get up early, drag themselves to the the metro with thousands of other miserable people, sit at their desks counting down until quitting time and then do it all again? I know, it's easy for me to say that you should just quit if work is making you so miserable, I happen to have a wonderful boss and amazing co-workers (the joy of working as a sole practitioner) but the truth is, it is just not that easy. So, try to make work a little more enjoyable. Conceivably, when you started this job, you thought it would be great. The people were nice, they offer good benefits, there is work life balance, the pay was right . . . but then the honeymoon phase was over.

Some of this is your fault, you let the toxic people influence you. Some of this is your horrible boss. But, since you have to spend more waking time here than anywhere else, try to understand the different types of people with whom we all work. For many, it is just a J O B. Go in, do work, get paid, go home. There are many of us who are passionate about what we do and get frustrated by the people who are not as passionate as we are. But here is my challenge for all the people I saw on the metro this morning: try to make work fun! Make your company the BEST place to work. Don't look back on your career with sadness and anger. Life is too short!


No comments:

Post a Comment