Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Facebook Frenzy


OK - so I know I am about 3 years behind on posting this, but I think FaceBook gets a bad rap. So here is why I LOVE it!

I LOVE to reconnect with old friends, I love to get together with people I haven't seen in decades, as a matter of fact, I ran into my high school boyfriend at a park in Arlington (we did not grow up here, and I haven't seen him since I was 17) and the first thing my best friend said when I told her was "Let me know when he and his wife come over for dinner!"

FaceBook has given me the opportunity to re-connect with old friends (I went to elementary school in State College, PA - left after 4th grade) - what a hoot it has been to talk with these people, one of them lives in Africa - I never would have found her if not for FB! I went to an overnight camp most of my childhood, I was then a counselor there, my campers (then 13 year old girls) have turned into these magnificent women, again, thanks FB!

FaceBook gives us an opportunity to cheer each other on (who knew my friend Robin could run marathons?!?!?); Celebrate each other's accomplishments (babies, weddings, way to go on getting that new job Elissa!); Comfort each other in upsetting times (cancer, deaths, divorce); support each other's new job ventures (Plant It Water, Kit Order), the list goes on and on.

I have found FaceBook to make me MORE social as opposed to less (I hear you tsking mom!) It's been so amazing to catch up with people I thought I would never talk to again and plan get togethers with them, meet their spouses, their children and most importantly, fall right back into where we were when we left off decades ago. So, for those of you who say that social networking is taking the social out of being a person, I have to disagree!

No comments:

Post a Comment